I am Shaun Norton, a programmer specialising in VR gameplay. I have 1 complete game, 4 short demos, and several other projects (details below).
I have posted over 100 development videos on my YouTube channel.
I am looking for job opportunities – please email email@example.com
Unstung (Oculus Quest)
- Command a swarm of cute bees as they grow & defend flowers against an army of hungry bugs.
- Platform: Oculus Quest (mobile virtual reality)
- Created by Shaun Norton (studio/alias “Neomajika“)
- Unique VR-only control & gameplay mechanics
- Pikmin-meets-Tower Defense in full 3D.
- 1 player character with 3 abilities
- 3 ally unit types (max 300 units)
- 2 enemy types
- 1 boss (narrative only)
- 4 levels with 3 stages each
- Play time 30 minutes – 2 hours (approx), some replay value.
- Started November 2020
- Demo December 2020
- Submitted February 2021
- To be published April 2021 (pending)
Skills & features I worked on
- Unity & C#
- Player controls & abilities
- Combat systems
- 3D mathematics
- AI (custom Finite State Machine)
- Physics & movement
- Enemy design & spawn tool
- Level design & tools
- Level testing & balancing
- Dialog system
- Procedural animation
- Object pooling
- Scene management
- VR/PC input abstraction
- UI Canvas/menu
- Particle/sound/haptic systems
- Scriptable Objects
- Prefabs & Variants
- Event/message architecture
- Performance optimisation
- Continuous QA
- Trailer/camera tools
- Concept art & character design
- Design document
- Animation & rigging (incl. procedural)
- Sound design
- Music commissioning
- Narrative & tutorial writing
- Marketing & brand assets
Other Released Game Projects
- Nell: The Tiny Mage (VR, demo/prototype, 2020)
- Robot Coins VR (VR, game jam, 2021)
- Eternal Equinox (VR, game jam, 2021)
- Sock Hunter (PC, game jam, 2021)
3D Character Art/Animation
In-progress & prototypes
- Project Hedge
3D VR Platformer with unique controls and level streaming. Rigidbody controller.
Local multiplayer magical esport with shared real space. Inverse kinematics, bezier curves.
- Project Honeypunk
Hand-tracking for game control, an early version of Unstung.
- Sword strikes, transformations, telekinetic motion, and more
Your weapon is a character that you control and transform. Swipe selection, distance controls.
- Motion-activated fireballs & curves
- Unity DOTS/ECS/Physics experiments & splines
- Item selection menu
- Avatar & inverse kinematics
- Extremely weird ways to control things at a distance
- Game concepting in Tiltbrush/Google Blocks
Other things I’ve done
- Completed Bachelor of Business – Marketing (2018)
- Self-taught Photoshop, Premiere, Illustrator
- Self-taught HTML/CSS/PHP (1999-2010)
- Self-taught Unity/C# (2017-present)
- Co-organising local Melbourne VR Meetups (2019-present)
- Volunteered at Global Game Jam (2019), Melbourne Esports Open (2018 & 2019) and The BIG Lan (2020)
- Hosted a VR podcast named Virtually Playable (2019)
- Visited San Francisco for Oculus Connect 6 (2019)
- Played around with Minecraft mods & Team Fortress 2 mapping
- Owned a clothing & shoe store for a while (big yikes)
- Previously studied & dropped out of Science, Multimedia, Surveying, Creative Writing, and Civil Engineering.
- Live in Melbourne, Australia
- 34 years old, gay, white, English-speaking male (labels!)
- I lived in Vietnam for a year with my partner, and speak some Vietnamese
- Favourite games past & present: Command & Conquer, Mario, Zelda, Guild Wars, Portal 2, Team Fortress 2, League of Legends, Overwatch, Valorant
- Interested in fantasy novels, history, languages.